Thursday, January 14, 2010

Soul Food

I used to regularly attend the midweek services of a local black church. I haven't been in a while. I need to get back there and see how everyone is doing. I was the only white guy. That didn't seem to matter much. However, there are many cultural differences. For instance, after one meeting a man spoke of his eagerness to make himself a good old pig ear sandwich. Others chimed in speaking very highly of pig ear sandwiches. I've never had one. I hope to never try one. Nor am I particularly interested in eating hog jowls, ham hocks, chitterlings, or chicken gizzards. For the most part, soul food is just not appealing to me.

Of course, there's no problem with us having different tastes in foods. That's part of what makes life interesting. The real issue is tastes in SOUL FOOD.

Just as body needs food, the human heart craves and needs immaterial sustenance. And, just as in the natural all foods are not healthy, all immaterial foods are not healthy for the soul. What we really crave -- what we are created to long for -- are such things as true Love, Joy, Peace… These are things that come from God. He is the only legitimate source for the immaterial SOUL FOOD we all crave and need.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

This is one of several "I am" statements found in John's gospel. Jesus reveals that he is: the Bread of Life, the Light of the world, the Door, the True Vine, and the Way, Truth, and the Life. All of these are exclusive claims. No other food, door, way, truth, life, nor light are available.

If you're hungry you're invited to come to the Bread of Life and eat freely. Keep coming to Him. Keep believing on Him. You will find food for your soul.

Isaiah 55:1 Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness. Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.