Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Commanded to Live

John 12:46-50
I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. He that rejects me, and receives not my words, has one that judges him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

God's commandment is life.

Jesus was sent into the world, the light of the world, not to condemn mankind but to save us. He brought to us the words of life. He pronounced to us God's commandment. God's commandment is life. He has called everyone everywhere to live. Live! Jesus did not come to condemn the world. Rather, he revealed the path of eternal life. Sadly, most people refuse to walk in his light. They refuse the command to repent and live. Those who reject Jesus and his words find the light that he sheds to be darkness. Hearing but refusing to heed his words they build their houses on the sand of their own wisdom and are finally destroyed.

I realize that I cannot accept Jesus and yet reject his words. I must have Jesus. I must therefore submit myself to the authority of Jesus' teaching without regard to my own comfort. The path of life may be narrow but it is also deeply and eternally satisfying.