Monday, February 7, 2011

Who I am through the I AM

God appeared to Moses in the wilderness. In God's awesome presence Moses asked

"Who am I?"

Moses was a shepherd and a fugitive. He recognized that he was not qualified to go up against perhaps the mightiest man in the world, the Pharaoh. This proved to be God's pattern in his dealings with humanity. Time and again he uses the weak to bring down the mighty.

Just think :

David vs. Goliath
The worm vs. the mountain (Isa 41:14-15)
Gideon's band vs. entire Army
Daniel vs. Den of Lions

God is looking for humble men and women to bring down the proud. Perhaps that's why Moses spent 40 years as an obscure shepherd. Becoming the meekest man alive (Num 12:3) couldn't have come easily.

Perhaps the number one qualification for greatness in God's service is humility.

Until you can say with Moses "Who am I?" you cannot be of great use to God. Before being used by God one must realize "I am not God".

Moses stood in the presence of God who revealed himself as the I AM. All of the beauty and complexity of this universe has an explanation. The explanation is the I AM. In the presence of his perfection, faithfulness, and power all of our obstacles and enemies appear puny. Moses was soon to see the incredible power of the one who spoke the universe into existence as he worked miracles among the Egyptians and delivered his people.



Recognizing the greatness of the I AM is crucial. A glimpse of his greatness sheds light on all of life's problems, dwarfing them. God is bigger than all of your troubles.


Sure, Moses wasn't exactly a famous or important guy. What made him great, important, and famous was his God. He knew the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Just as they were great through knowing him, so too Moses became great through God. It wasn't that Moses didn't have weaknesses and failures. He did. Just like you and me. God proved himself greater than all of Moses' past.

More important than Moses' question, "Who am I?" is "Who will I be?" Moses became mighty through God. That's the pattern. Recognizing our own frailty, we turn to God. Through God we become great.