Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Lion and the Lamb


I read Gerald Kennedy's book, The Lion and the Lamb: the final truths in the paradoxes of the Christian faith while attending Bible college. It was one of the hundreds of used books I scavenged for next to nothing in those days. Since I look back on the book with fondness, it seemed good to revisit it. And since my awareness of the paradoxical nature of the Christian faith and reality in general has  deepened in recent years it seems that it might be worth while to share some thoughts on the subject.

I'm not committing myself to slavishly following Kennedy's book. Rather, it'll serve as a kind of springboard. Many of the topics he covered are of perennial interest precisely because  they are areas of tension. They are paradoxes. So, time and again, some folks emphasize one end of the paradox to the exclusion of the other and thereby fall into error. Only by allowing the tensions to remain can we arrive at "the final truths in paradoxes."

Some of the topics I intend to consider (these are chapter titles from Kennedy's book):

Sorrow and Joy
Prudence and Carelessness
Death and Life